ONE Nutrition Goal you can Actually Keep
As a registered dietitian I get asked all the time "What should I eat to be healthy?" By the way, this conversation is usually taking place at a noisy restaurant or social gathering, and if I had the time, I could discuss this answer for hours on end.
To sum things up in less than a minute, here's ONE teeny-tiny goal that I think everyone can stick to: aim to eat at least one fruit or vegetable at every snack and meal. And no need to stop at one...the more the merrier.
This one change immediately ups your fiber intake, and adds important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your plate. Bonus: it also puts you in a healthier mindset for the rest of your day.
Let's get specific. Here are five classic food favorites that don't usually contain a fruit or vegetable, but they pair perfectly with produce. Load on the veggies!
1. Grilled cheese + kale, mushrooms, tomatoes
2. Plain cheese pizza + mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli
3. Peanut butter and jelly + bananas, berries, apples, grapes
4. Hamburger + tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, avocado
5. Spaghetti and tomato sauce + mushrooms, spinach, swiss chard, zucchini